One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Stay as a visitor longer than one is wanted.
- ‘By overstaying his welcome, however, he may have deprived himself of the glorious exit that his achievements deserve.’
- ‘Finally the moment came when I knew I had to leave as I had already stayed for dinner and overstayed my welcome.’
- ‘One of my friends has a habit of overstaying her welcome.’
- ‘Another way of dissuading the geese from overstaying their welcome in the park is limiting their food supply by keeping grass cut extremely short and imposing fines on people feeding them.’
- ‘I have a great aunt named Sally, who always meant well, but was constantly messing things up and overstaying her welcome.’
- ‘I'm beginning to feel they've now overstayed their welcome.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.