Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A newly weaned animal.
- ‘The colt had previously sold as a weanling for $26,000 at the 2000 Keeneland November breeding stock sale.’
- ‘We wean them in September and then sell some as weanlings.’
- ‘If you are selling suckler-bred weanlings, what market are you aiming at?’
- ‘At the time, the price was a world record for a weanling filly sold at public auction.’
- ‘Our estimate has some 75500 calves and weanlings being sold out of Kerry alone.’
- ‘The trade eased back a little this week, but there are still strong prices being paid for the quality weanling bulls, and good shipping demand for the heifers.’
- ‘Interestingly though, most of these pigs, about 5 million, are weanlings and feeder hogs.’
- ‘The older weanlings are ideal for bulling in late spring when they are about 18 months old.’
- ‘A total of 127 horses have been entered in the sale, which features weanlings, yearlings, horses in training, and in-foal broodmares.’
- ‘He pointed out that up to 600,000 male calves and weanlings are traded annually without having drawn a premium.’
- ‘Again the home demand will be the dominant market for bull weanlings.’
- ‘The weanling bull calf has a very high growth rate, a good feed conversion and consequently a high weight gain and in the bull beef trade it is kilograms that the farmer gets paid for as well as good grades.’
- ‘The number includes 2,094 broodmares or broodmare prospects, 1,887 weanlings, and 134 horses of various ages.’
- ‘Prices were fairly strong at the sale, which featured a significantly downsized catalog with an emphasis on weanlings from young sires.’
- ‘A weanling filly by Grade 1 winner and new sire Trippi brought the highest price of the day.’
- ‘James farms suckler cows, selling weanlings off in October.’
- ‘The live trade involves the export of over 200,000 head of calves and weanlings to Europe and up to 70,000 head of livestock to international markets.’
- ‘Adult cattle numbers have increased by 9%, while throughput of calves and weanlings is up 3%.’
- ‘Her weanling colt by Storm Cat will also be offered on Monday.’
- ‘The 373 mares catalogued will be offered during the Sunday and Monday sessions while 333 weanlings will be sold on Monday and Tuesday.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.