One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A newly weaned animal.
- ‘Prices were fairly strong at the sale, which featured a significantly downsized catalog with an emphasis on weanlings from young sires.’
- ‘The older weanlings are ideal for bulling in late spring when they are about 18 months old.’
- ‘A total of 127 horses have been entered in the sale, which features weanlings, yearlings, horses in training, and in-foal broodmares.’
- ‘At the time, the price was a world record for a weanling filly sold at public auction.’
- ‘Interestingly though, most of these pigs, about 5 million, are weanlings and feeder hogs.’
- ‘Again the home demand will be the dominant market for bull weanlings.’
- ‘A weanling filly by Grade 1 winner and new sire Trippi brought the highest price of the day.’
- ‘Our estimate has some 75500 calves and weanlings being sold out of Kerry alone.’
- ‘He pointed out that up to 600,000 male calves and weanlings are traded annually without having drawn a premium.’
- ‘The trade eased back a little this week, but there are still strong prices being paid for the quality weanling bulls, and good shipping demand for the heifers.’
- ‘We wean them in September and then sell some as weanlings.’
- ‘The number includes 2,094 broodmares or broodmare prospects, 1,887 weanlings, and 134 horses of various ages.’
- ‘The colt had previously sold as a weanling for $26,000 at the 2000 Keeneland November breeding stock sale.’
- ‘If you are selling suckler-bred weanlings, what market are you aiming at?’
- ‘James farms suckler cows, selling weanlings off in October.’
- ‘Her weanling colt by Storm Cat will also be offered on Monday.’
- ‘Adult cattle numbers have increased by 9%, while throughput of calves and weanlings is up 3%.’
- ‘The live trade involves the export of over 200,000 head of calves and weanlings to Europe and up to 70,000 head of livestock to international markets.’
- ‘The weanling bull calf has a very high growth rate, a good feed conversion and consequently a high weight gain and in the bull beef trade it is kilograms that the farmer gets paid for as well as good grades.’
- ‘The 373 mares catalogued will be offered during the Sunday and Monday sessions while 333 weanlings will be sold on Monday and Tuesday.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.