One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(on sports teams with an odd number of players) the half of an offensive or defensive alignment that has one player fewer.
- ‘If he departs, the team might end up with a younger player on the weak side.’
- ‘Playing on the weak side, he led the team in tackles and recovered three fumbles.’
- ‘He has played all three linebacker positions, and now the team will need a replacement for him on the weak side.’
- ‘He has shown promise on special teams and will get playing time on the weak side of the defense this season.’
- ‘Ian Gold, one of the team's must physically gifted players, will start on the weak side.’
- ‘He is the fast athlete the team needed on the weak side.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.