Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(in Indonesia and Malaysia) a theatrical performance employing puppets or human dancers.
- ‘The art of wayang has recently started to change.’
- ‘She was always astonished by the beautiful wayang figures used by her uncle.’
- ‘One of the significant breakthroughs Poedijono made is his use of English in his wayang (puppet show) performances.’
- ‘At the end of the wayang, Twalen and Merdah advise that the ten elements of peace - earth, water, fire, wind, plants, animals, fish, birds, humans and God - must be cherished, nurtured and controlled.’
- ‘Thus, the wayang is not only a cultural show, but also a sacred performance, with a ritual opening led by the puppeteer.’
- ‘Wayang is not something reserved to scholars or court people; every villager knows the wayang, uses its example to educate or chastise children, and has his or her own favourite character.’
- ‘Nowadays, wayang is broadcast on the radio, blaring from open-air eateries.’
- 1.1 A Javanese and Balinese shadow puppet play.
- ‘Java's master art form is the wayang kulit shadow-puppet play.’
- ‘It was indeed an unusual opening dialog for a wayang performance; one that would never be found in conventional Javanese wayang.’
- ‘Instead, he flies off, dips in and out of a few clouds, and ends up about 2000 feet above the sultan's palace in Yogyakarta, just in time to catch the last few scenes of a wayang kulit performance!’
- ‘Likewise, when you are in the Semar-Bagong Park, you feel as if you are somewhere in Central Java, the land of wayang shadow puppets.’
- ‘According to Central Javanese lore, the wayang depicts stories in which the gods themselves descend to earth as puppeteer and also as props in order to protect humankind from all evil.’
- ‘Unlike a normal wayang kulit performance, which usually lasts all night long, the performance lasted only an hour and a half.’
- ‘An exotic folk art is the wayang kulit, a traditional shadow-puppet show.’
- ‘But how can we introduce them to this if there is little or no interest in watching wayang kulit?’
- ‘But nevertheless, when speaking about that I think it is helpful to make reference to something that is very meaningful, such as the wayang kulit (Javanese shadow puppet) stories.’
- ‘Gerwani drew on the Javanese wayang character Srikandi to blend militant activism with a traditional acceptance of women's primary role as mothers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.