One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A lifelike dummy modeled in wax.
- ‘Going to investigate, we're confronted with a man in a bowler hat and suit sitting at a keyboard looking rather like a waxwork.’
- ‘Not many people can boast of having their own waxwork in a museum, but New Addington resident Nan Jenkins is just one person immortalised in the Lifetimes exhibition.’
- ‘Britney Spears will give a deliberately dull performance when Madame Tussaud's museum unveils a new waxwork of the pop starlet as part of a new collection.’
- ‘One third of the waxworks in the exhibition hall have been damaged because of years of being touched or climbed upon by visitors.’
- ‘Visitors to Madame Tussaud's are impressed with how eerily lifelike the new Robbie Williams waxwork looks.’
- ‘Ms Ni, a representative of the hall, told the Youth Daily that the cost of repairing dozens of damaged waxworks was extremely high as each wax figure was worth 80,000 yuan.’
- ‘And now we have a Robbie Williams waxwork that has ‘real chest hair’ and ‘a twinkle in his eye, activated with hidden sensors’.’
- ‘In a row of glass cases, waxwork tableaux of Victorian surgeons are shown lopping off limbs while their patients are forcibly restrained.’
- ‘Yes, the new Robbie Williams waxwork is just like the real thing.’
- ‘It's there in the lyrics of Christina Aguilera, the styling of Britney Spears and even the poses of mannequins in Madame Tussaud's (where a waxwork of Kylie Minogue depicts her on all fours with her bottom poking into the air).’
- ‘The couple will have to hold their pose for up to three hours while they are studied for the waxwork figures.’
- ‘The singer was speaking at the unveiling of a waxwork model of himself at Madam Tussaud's in London.’
- ‘The game show hostess with the acid tongue was ‘delighted’ at her inclusion in the original London exhibition - and even provided one of her TV outfits for the waxwork, which it still wears.’
- ‘Numerous small theatres throughout Salem re-enact episodes from the witch trial hysteria while waxwork displays in creepy dungeons capture the key moments.’
- ‘Unrecognizable under layers of garish makeup, Voight at times looks like a moving, talking waxwork.’
- ‘He looked like a Russian waxwork, but wasn't as large in the flesh as you'd imagine.’
- ‘Here is the story of Kaiser Wilhelm's holiday in a small Welsh spa town shortly before the outbreak of the Great War, and of the Welsh waxwork museum largely peopled by countless effigies of Prince Philip discarded by Madame Tussaud's.’
- 1.1waxworksBritish treated as singular An exhibition of wax dummies.
- ‘Madame Tussaud's waxworks has been exhibiting a Nativity scene that depicts the footballer David Beckham as Joseph and his popstar wife, Victoria, as the Virgin Mary.’
- ‘An astonishing 500 million people have visited the world-famous waxworks since it was founded in the early 19th century.’
- ‘If your Blackpool travel experience involves children, Louis Tussaud's waxworks is a nice place for taking them out.’
- ‘He helped create and expand the Bastille legend, exhibiting in his waxworks insurgents, released prisoners, and a model of the fortress, carved from its ‘last’ stone.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.