One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The theory that light is propagated through the ether by a wave motion imparted to the ether by the molecular vibrations of the radiant body.
- ‘This hypothesis, which had been tentatively proposed by Max Planck a few years earlier, directly challenged the wave theory of light.’
- ‘He warned of the dangers of lead poisoning and hypothesized about continental drift and the wave theory of light.’
- ‘He studied continuum mechanics, lunar theory with Clairaut, the three body problem, elasticity, acoustics, the wave theory of light, hydraulics, and music.’
- ‘A few years earlier another member of the Royal Society, Robert Hooke, had published a wave theory of light and his own theory of colours.’
- ‘As for the wave theory, most physicists were happy to retain it for some phenomena, while simultaneously embracing the new photon hypothesis for others.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.