One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of superposed waves which together form a traveling localized disturbance, especially one described by Schrödinger's equation and regarded as representing a particle.
- ‘Experiments in the 1980s, however, showed that it was possible for the peak of a wave packet to arrive sooner than it would had it travelled at c.’
- ‘In other words, a real understanding of the position tentatively espoused depends upon a solution to another great problem in the foundations of quantum mechanics: the problem of reduction of the wave packet.’
- ‘For Raymer, the experiment was impressive because it produced single photons in well defined wave packets.’
- ‘For example, the phase velocity of a wave packet is a pseudo process but the group velocity is a causal process; yet both licence reliable predictions.’
- ‘And when they repeated the experiment without interactions between the atoms, they saw obvious evidence for spreading of the wave packet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.