One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of a pair of skis enabling the wearer to skim the surface of the water when towed by a motorboat.
- ‘Waterskiers pay 45 for one pair of waterskis.’
- ‘The more adventurous could, possibly, take some waterskis.’
- ‘Boats, canoes, jetties, fishing rods and forgotten waterskis are among items recovered and sometimes reclaimed by owners, but the other day I found a tennis racquet.’
- ‘The owner also had an ancient pair of waterskis, and I just thought, what the heck.’
- ‘The yacht is a perfect platform for water sports such as scuba diving, and is equipped with windsurfers, waterskis and snorkels.’
Skim the surface of water on waterskis.
- ‘Whether they want to lounge around in the sun, sip vanilla tea, or get into snorkelling, waterskiing or sea-kayaking, this couple will be able to really unwind here and get into a different way of life.’
- ‘And there is every incentive for her - rumour has it that waterskiing will make its Olympic debut at the 2004 games in Athens.’
- ‘There are other beaches, of course, and water sports from swimming and sunbathing to waterskiing and scuba diving.’
- ‘A traditional hull form might be okay for fishing but certainly not waterskiing.’
- ‘Fishing, waterskiing, windsurfing, boat races and swimming are also favorite activities.’
- ‘He's relaxed, tan and advocating the benefits of waterskiing on Florida's Lake Magdalene at the age of 62.’
- ‘Among the winners were some who are involved in lesser-profiled sports, including canoe polo, ice skating, trampolining, and even bare-foot waterskiing.’
- ‘The island of Grand Bahama offers a wide range of watersports including waterskiing, sailing and windsurfing.’
- ‘She worked overseas for three years, teaching windsurfing and waterskiing in America, and learning to scuba dive in Fiji.’
- ‘Cruising and fishing are fine, but it's hard to waterski offshore, and there are limited areas to raft up.’
- ‘Mountain-biking, horse-riding and waterskiing can be arranged, and you can swim in either the pool or the reservoir.’
- ‘His childhood gave him a taste for skiing, waterskiing and fishing and homemade wine, as well as music.’
- ‘I was able to waterski and to ski and I'm very glad I've had that opportunity.’
- ‘He launched into a long and daring tale of waterskiing - in February - and doing triple flips.’
- ‘This summer, I learned how to waterski and stuff like that.’
- ‘We like to entertain, waterski, or sometimes just float for a while in an isolated cove.’
- ‘The whole family is looking forward to a lot of awesome flying, as well as waterskiing on the huge Murray river.’
- ‘Today was the day for swimming, tubing, and waterskiing at a nearby lake.’
- ‘This seemingly endless waterway offers something for everyone - fishing, waterskiing, wind surfing, swimming, and jet-skiing abound.’
- ‘Hailing from land-locked Denver, CO, my time on water had been limited to the local swimming pool and waterskiing on mountain lakes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.