One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of a pair of skis enabling the wearer to skim the surface of the water when towed by a motorboat.
- ‘Waterskiers pay 45 for one pair of waterskis.’
- ‘The owner also had an ancient pair of waterskis, and I just thought, what the heck.’
- ‘The more adventurous could, possibly, take some waterskis.’
- ‘Boats, canoes, jetties, fishing rods and forgotten waterskis are among items recovered and sometimes reclaimed by owners, but the other day I found a tennis racquet.’
- ‘The yacht is a perfect platform for water sports such as scuba diving, and is equipped with windsurfers, waterskis and snorkels.’
Skim the surface of water on waterskis.
- ‘Hailing from land-locked Denver, CO, my time on water had been limited to the local swimming pool and waterskiing on mountain lakes.’
- ‘A traditional hull form might be okay for fishing but certainly not waterskiing.’
- ‘We like to entertain, waterski, or sometimes just float for a while in an isolated cove.’
- ‘The whole family is looking forward to a lot of awesome flying, as well as waterskiing on the huge Murray river.’
- ‘Mountain-biking, horse-riding and waterskiing can be arranged, and you can swim in either the pool or the reservoir.’
- ‘She worked overseas for three years, teaching windsurfing and waterskiing in America, and learning to scuba dive in Fiji.’
- ‘Cruising and fishing are fine, but it's hard to waterski offshore, and there are limited areas to raft up.’
- ‘Fishing, waterskiing, windsurfing, boat races and swimming are also favorite activities.’
- ‘His childhood gave him a taste for skiing, waterskiing and fishing and homemade wine, as well as music.’
- ‘Whether they want to lounge around in the sun, sip vanilla tea, or get into snorkelling, waterskiing or sea-kayaking, this couple will be able to really unwind here and get into a different way of life.’
- ‘And there is every incentive for her - rumour has it that waterskiing will make its Olympic debut at the 2004 games in Athens.’
- ‘There are other beaches, of course, and water sports from swimming and sunbathing to waterskiing and scuba diving.’
- ‘He's relaxed, tan and advocating the benefits of waterskiing on Florida's Lake Magdalene at the age of 62.’
- ‘The island of Grand Bahama offers a wide range of watersports including waterskiing, sailing and windsurfing.’
- ‘Today was the day for swimming, tubing, and waterskiing at a nearby lake.’
- ‘I was able to waterski and to ski and I'm very glad I've had that opportunity.’
- ‘Among the winners were some who are involved in lesser-profiled sports, including canoe polo, ice skating, trampolining, and even bare-foot waterskiing.’
- ‘He launched into a long and daring tale of waterskiing - in February - and doing triple flips.’
- ‘This seemingly endless waterway offers something for everyone - fishing, waterskiing, wind surfing, swimming, and jet-skiing abound.’
- ‘This summer, I learned how to waterski and stuff like that.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.