One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The large melonlike fruit of a plant of the gourd family, with smooth green skin, red pulp, and watery juice.
- ‘The main exhibits are still life photos of fruits like oranges, grapes and watermelons.’
- ‘Growing a prize watermelon is a bit like pig farming.’
- ‘There were mangoes, apples, oranges, pears, watermelons, melons, kiwis and some other strange fruits that I hadn't seen before nicely cut up and neatly arranged in matching bowls and plates.’
- ‘Most of the larger fruits such as pumpkins and watermelons, and some of the bigger vegetables such as gourds and tubers, are easier to carve into novel shapes.’
- ‘There are pyramids of sweet-smelling guavas, papayas, watermelons, pineapples, custard apples, lemons, limes and avocados.’
- ‘There's nothing wrong with eating watermelon, provided you eat a slice rather than 10 of them.’
- ‘Mature coconuts are found to have little flesh, and the juice is watery; while other garden produce such as pumpkins, greens and watermelons are not growing well.’
- ‘As we tuck into a colourful platter of fresh pineapple, watermelon, kiwi fruit, pears and bananas on the veranda, she cooks up sausages, bacon and pancakes.’
- ‘Where available raccoons may also eat peaches, plums, figs, citrus fruits, watermelons, beech nuts, and walnuts.’
- ‘The fact that you don't need an electrical appliance to extract juice from a watermelon also comes as a blessing for these vendors.’
- ‘The green piles of watermelons, which herald the scorching season ahead, are favoured thirst-quenchers.’
- ‘He grows several dozen crops, including artichokes, shallots, watermelons, garlic, and many types of greens.’
- ‘Until the soil temperature is 65 degrees, you might as well not even bother planting watermelons, honeydew or muskmelons because the seeds just won't germinate.’
- ‘The agricultural district, in which rice and watermelons and fruits and vegetables were grown in abundance, suddenly discovered a new, lucrative alternative crop.’
- ‘A seed like that would ruin the juiciest, sweetest tasting watermelon.’
- ‘They may consume fresh green vegetables, oranges, carrots, watermelon, beans and possibly folic acid pills.’
- ‘A cantaloupe doesn't have the smooth sheen of a honeydew or the artistic green striations of a watermelon.’
- ‘In each photograph she has included one or more smashed watermelons.’
- ‘The fertile soil of the valleys produces a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, including citrus, sugarcane, watermelons, bananas, yams, and beans.’
- ‘The impact blasted watermelons and oranges and tomatoes all over the sidewalk.’
2The widely cultivated African plant that yields the watermelon.
Citrullus lanatus, family Cucurbitaceae
- ‘The virus comes in two forms - one causes disease in cucurbits (cucumbers, watermelons, etc) and is already prevalent in Rarotonga, while the other affects both papaya and cucurbits.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.