Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Ducks, geese, or other large aquatic birds, especially when regarded as game.
- ‘Another new duck for us was the exquisite Harlequin Duck, a waterfowl rarely spotted close to shore.’
- ‘Large birds including ptarmigan and waterfowl are the most common prey item of the Gyrfalcon.’
- ‘The total population of seabirds, waterfowl, and shorebirds may exceed a million birds.’
- ‘The actual impact of Mute Swans on native waterfowl and their habitats in North America is poorly known.’
- ‘And practiced duck hunters occasionally kill waterfowl over 80 yards away with a 12 gauge shotgun.’
- ‘A modest duck pond becomes exciting when one realizes that not all waterfowl are Mallards and Canada Geese.’
- ‘Their dams help to maintain water levels in forest streams, thus providing habitat for themselves, fish, and waterfowl.’
- ‘We were baffled by a waterfowl just like this one back in September.’
- ‘Habitat seemed the next best criterion to search by, since many waterfowl shy away from inland bodies of water.’
- ‘The green central island is inhabited by ducks, cormorants, Canada geese and other territorial waterfowl.’
- ‘These are only a few of many places to try your hand with waterfowl.’
- ‘The central feature of the refuge, however, is the diversity and abundance of waterfowl and prairie birds.’
- ‘The most abundant and widespread of all waterfowl, the mallard is also the most hunted game bird.’
- ‘Clinically normal waterfowl and sea birds may introduce the virus into flocks.’
- ‘We saw lots of waterfowl, mostly Canada geese and mallards with the odd Gadwall.’
- ‘Now that late fall has settled in, waterfowl are the main attraction.’
- ‘Birders generally watch shorebirds in summer, raptors in autumn, and waterfowl in winter.’
- ‘Among waterfowl, the Canada Goose is the least loved, especially by golfers.’
- ‘The black-headed duck most often parasitizes other waterfowl and marsh-nesting birds.’
- ‘Big, bold, and fiercely territorial, these birds dominate all other waterfowl in their domains.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.