One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cress that grows in running water and whose pungent leaves are used in salad.
- ‘Most aquatic plants prefer calm water, with the exception of watercress, which seems to prefer moving water.’
- ‘The watercress plants would grow from seeds sprayed from the air.’
- ‘Edible plants for your pond include watercress, water chestnuts, and arrowhead or Wapato.’
- ‘Off the land there were mushrooms, snails in the dry-stone walls, watercress in the ditches, rock pigeon and hare - my brother had a lurcher dog called Jess.’
- ‘Jobs in one of Hampshire's most distinctive industries, watercress growing, are under threat from government proposals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.