One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cress that grows in running water and whose pungent leaves are used in salad.
- ‘Jobs in one of Hampshire's most distinctive industries, watercress growing, are under threat from government proposals.’
- ‘The watercress plants would grow from seeds sprayed from the air.’
- ‘Most aquatic plants prefer calm water, with the exception of watercress, which seems to prefer moving water.’
- ‘Off the land there were mushrooms, snails in the dry-stone walls, watercress in the ditches, rock pigeon and hare - my brother had a lurcher dog called Jess.’
- ‘Edible plants for your pond include watercress, water chestnuts, and arrowhead or Wapato.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.