One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large African antelope occurring near rivers and lakes in the savanna.
- ‘Whereas the goat, dog, cow, and cat are domesticated, the antelope, leopard, elephant, waterbuck, manatee, and hippopotamus must be hunted.’
- ‘Visitors can accompany their Masai hosts on game drives to see hyenas, leopards, lions, and waterbuck.’
- ‘Other animals, such as waterbucks, kudus, warthogs, and baboons, drank from the same troughs.’
- ‘We are not buying up rare nyalas, impala and waterbuck.’
- ‘In contrast, giraffe, waterbuck, kongoni, and zebra showed birth distributions very similar to that for percentage protein.’
- ‘Also giraffe, waterbuck, and Thomson's gazelle showed births spread more evenly through the year.’
- ‘Van Hoven said the animals, including roan antelope, eland, reedbuck, waterbuck and maybe even cheetah, will be taken from where they are captured by road to the Walvis Bay harbour in Namibia.’
- ‘Also on sale were Burchell's zebra, warthog, blue and black wildebeest, lechwe, waterbuck, eland, impala, bontebok, gemsbok, kudu, ostrich, red and blue hartebeest, blesbok, springbok, and mountain reedbuck.’
- ‘On the small dambos and edges of floodplains reedbuck and puku graze on the short grass while shaggy-haired waterbuck pop up here and there in the most unlikely places.’
- ‘Other inhabitants of Selous are bush back, waterbuck, reedbuck, impala, eland, giraffe, baboon, zebra, and greater kudu.’
- ‘It is also a refuge for elephants, buffaloes, zebras, cheetahs, leopards, lions, waterbucks and impalas and it contains the only protected indigenous forest remaining in the area.’
- ‘Here, photographers can get vantage points to compose shots of elephants, rhinos, cheetahs, hyenas, gazelles and waterbucks.’
- ‘On the shores great herds of buffalo, waterbuck and impala grazed peacefully.’
- ‘It has taken everything from Colorado mule deer to zebra, impala, gemsbok and waterbuck in Africa.’
- ‘Impala, waterbuck, kudu, bushbuck, warthog, zebra and giraffe all move to drier areas that still offer plenty of goodies to eat.’
- ‘And since it has more than two dozen straight one-shot kills to its credit over the past dozen years - on everything from turkey to mule deer to waterbuck to zebra - I am afraid to touch it and possibly break the magic spell.’
- ‘In the dry season, July to November, the river is an excellent place for observing large numbers of game including lions, leopards, hunting dogs, giraffe, waterbuck, eland and warthogs.’
- ‘This forces parched buffalo, waterbucks, and other lion prey to gather at one of the few remaining sources of water.’
- ‘When we began filming at Elgon in February 2002, not a day went by without sighting a buffalo, bushbuck or waterbuck with a snare wrapped around its neck or foot.’
- ‘We add the caveat, however, that the data on waterbuck are sparse and dates of birth are the least accurate of all the species.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.