One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An interrogation technique simulating the experience of drowning, in which a person is strapped, face up, to a board that slopes downward at the head, while large quantities of water are poured over the face into the breathing passages.
- ‘Amnesty International once again show their true political colours in a campaign ad against the practice of waterboarding.’
- ‘Although we likely won't know the whole story for some time, the use of torture like waterboarding has yielded important results too.’
- ‘I've always been on the fence about whether waterboarding constituted torture.’
- ‘Republicans have insisted in recent weeks that she and other Democrats knew waterboarding was in use but made no attempt to protest.’
- ‘Under the argument above, either incarceration is torture or waterboarding is not.’
- ‘As far as I can tell you are attempting to redefine torture to exclude waterboarding and sleep deprivation.’
- ‘They depicted the use of "enhanced" interrogation techniques against two of three men known to have faced waterboarding by the CIA.’
- ‘It now is American government policy that waterboarding is torture.’
- ‘They said the intent is not to use that as an opening for possible use of waterboarding, an interrogation technique that simulates drowning.’
- ‘While in CIA custody, Mohammed was subjected to coercive interrogation techniques, culminating in waterboarding.’
- ‘In my mind, since the Spanish Inquisition, water-boarding has been torture.’
- ‘It says they were exposed to beating, sleep deprivation and waterboarding.’
- ‘But that was not the result of harsh techniques, including waterboarding, which were not introduced until August.’
- ‘She couldn't seem to explain when or where she had or possibly had not been told about water-boarding back in 2002 or perhaps 2003.’
- ‘The manual explicitly prohibits threats, coercion, physical abuse, and waterboarding, which creates the sensation of drowning.’
- ‘The review questioned the effectiveness of harsh interrogation methods employed by CIA interrogators, such as waterboarding.’
- ‘As a visual culture driven by images on TV and in the movies, waterboarding is a conveniently cinematic form of torture.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.