One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The level below which the ground is saturated with water.
- ‘He said there were about 30 people affected in the town and possibly many more in the townships where the water table was rising.’
- ‘He believes Neolithic man started to dig a trench to reach the sunken water table, dumping the soil removed in a central pile and using fencing to keep it in place.’
- ‘Since 1965, the water table under Beijing has fallen by some 59 metres.’
- ‘The future of agriculture is threatened by a falling water table.’
- ‘Rain should be eased into the ground to raise the water table, which will give us healthier and more diverse parks, ravines and valleys.’
- ‘Not only does trout farming make use of saline groundwater, it could help lower the water table and reduce groundwater's salt content.’
- ‘Because of excessive use and many consecutive dry summers, the water table had descended alarmingly.’
- ‘It also submits that the most contaminated soil is typically at the water table and that the Defendant failed to test at that crucial level.’
- ‘This has resulted in a dramatic drop in the water table.’
- ‘Controlled drainage uses valves to open and close drainage pipes and structures to control the depth of the water table.’
- ‘We need some good falls before winter to raise the water table.’
- ‘Soon, the tanks fell into disuse and the water table dropped; this had disastrous effects for agriculture.’
- ‘The restoration was completed earlier this month and the tomb now sits on a concrete base in a dry area well above the water table.’
- ‘I learned later that these boreholes, which were dug by cattle ranchers and reached down 100 meters and more, had lowered the water table.’
- ‘The manure alone could destroy the water table, rendering the groundwater toxic and leaching poisons into the soil for miles around.’
- ‘At the same time, manure becomes a problem, both in terms of disposal and because it leaches into the water table.’
- ‘The positive impact on the water table can only be slight.’
- ‘Modern bore technology allows us to go deeper and deeper into the ground but does not teach us the simple sagacity of recharging the water table.’
- ‘Do not apply pesticides where the water table is near the soil surface.’
- ‘When standing water was no longer observable at a site, a monitoring well was used to determine the depth of the water table.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.