One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Sports that are carried out on water, such as waterskiing and windsurfing.
- ‘The resort is built on Grace Bay which offers excellent opportunities for a range of water sports, including sailing, swimming, diving and fishing.’
- ‘On the trip 60 youngsters from schools across Keighley, Bradford and Huddersfield, who have made a difference in their community, take part in a week of outdoor pursuits and water sports.’
- ‘I had noticed him a few days earlier, playing water sports, going on daily dives and mixing with the beautiful crowd.’
- ‘This centre, as the only facility of its quality in the area, will contribute to the development of rowing, canoeing and other water sports in this region.’
- ‘Among other sports, he lists all water sports, mountain biking and trekking.’
- ‘Visitors can enjoy their favorite water sports amidst the stunning scenery.’
- ‘There is much enthusiasm for recreational boating and water sports among the middle and upper class in India.’
- ‘It boasts 6km of white glistening sand surrounded by tranquil water, and scuba diving, snorkelling and many other water sports are available here.’
- ‘Diving, snorkeling and jet-skiing are popular water sports here as well.’
- ‘The plan, say city officials, is to develop the islands into a center for scuba diving, fishing and other water sports.’
- ‘You can choose from beach vacations that offer lots of water sports or breathtaking mountain views that give you opportunity for adventure sports.’
- ‘Apart from regular water sports cliff diving is an added exclusive special attraction of the place.’
- ‘Besides water sports, visitors can make an easy one-day excursion to Tomohon and Tondano, famed for their flower and agricultural products.’
- ‘This is a great opportunity to introduce children to water sports in a safe environment or to improve their skills if they already sail.’
- ‘The United States has more than 80,000 miles of coastline and a population showing increasing interest in scuba diving, snorkeling, surfing, and other water sports.’
- ‘Some fishing and boating industry observers fear such restrictions could extend to all types of boating as well as to diving or other water sports.’
- ‘The National Council on Physical Fitness and Sports set up a special task force last year promoting water sports and endorsing more international sailing competitions to be held in Taiwan.’
- ‘It will offer tennis courts, nature walks and water sports.’
- ‘Trinidad and Tobago's primary sports are cricket and soccer but basketball, netball, table tennis, track and field, golf, horse racing, and water sports are also popular.’
- ‘If you are keen on water sports, beware that diving is best December to March, and surfing between June and August.’
- 1.1informal Sexual activity involving urination.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.