Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A harmless snake that is a powerful swimmer and spends part of its time in fresh water hunting for prey. Water snakes are found in Africa, Asia, and America.
- ‘The three of us watched a long water snake glide in a broad oval around the pond.’
- ‘In their native habitat, predators such as large water snakes, alligators, and snapping turtles keep adult bullfrogs in check, while fish slurp tadpoles.’
- ‘Meals consisted of crickets and mealworms for most amphibians and lizards, fish for garter snakes and water snakes, beef for turtles, and rodents for monitor lizards, alligators, larger amphibians, and other snake species.’
- ‘She walked along the banks of the lake, watching a water snake slither in the shallows.’
- ‘A water snake swims by, only to be grabbed by a heron's jaw.’
- ‘Croaking frogs have to be avoided and a water snake or two may obstruct your path.’
- ‘Dozens of species are utilizing the underpasses, including bobcat, otter, alligator, Florida water snake, and the round-tailed muskrat, a rare species endemic to Florida and parts of Georgia.’
- ‘A large water snake was writhing on the surface of a small pond.’
- ‘These birds of a small size actually live off water snakes, so wherever there are water snakes, you can always hear the chirping of these little birds.’
- ‘It's because of birds that I know the difference between a sugar maple and a red maple, a diamondback water snake and a cottonmouth, an American lady and a painted lady.’
- ‘There were water snakes in the bottomland, rattlesnakes wedged between the rocks of wooden areas, and copperheads all over the place - especially in the shade under bushes and tobacco plants.’
- ‘The marsh supports American toads, midland painted turtles, Blanding's turtles, snapping turtles, and Lake Erie water snakes.’
- ‘Is the fact that a swimming hole might have frogs or water snakes explained as a natural encounter with wildlife (and therefore treated respectfully)?’
- ‘Lake Tanganyika has two unique snake species confined to this part of the world, the Tanganyika water cobra and the Tanganyika water snake.’
- ‘Based on microsatellite DNA analyses, the northern water snake also shows evidence for local population differentiation.’
- ‘The Lake Erie water snake is a nonvenomous snake that lives only on the islands and in the waters of the western Lake Erie basin.’
- ‘Then, yesterday, Lakshmi told me that a brown water snake had moved into the atrium - the center of the house, where there are plants and a shallow fish pond.’
water snake/ˈwädər ˌsnāk//ˈwôdər ˌsnāk/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.