One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of semiaquatic rodents.
pirate, marauder, raider, plunderer, bandit, robberView synonyms
- ‘It's murky, and I realize that there might be water rats.’
- ‘Down here is all darkness, the only sound the slur of rain in the dirt, water rats scratching inside the walls.’
- ‘Within this family, some species are particularly relevant, as is the case of Nectomys squamipes, a South American water rat that is a primary host of the parasite Schistosoma mansoni.’
- ‘To determine the geographical distribution of the phenotypes, we analyzed 820 skins of the South American water rat that were collected in various places in Brazil over a century and deposited at the National Museum of Rio de Janeiro.’
- ‘The 17 hectare nature protects eight hectares of undisturbed rainforest, which is home to pademelons, brush turkeys, water rats and possums that can be seen on walks.’
- ‘Since when did notions of cleaning up the backyard shed, eating water rats, and wiping the bottoms of naughty rich children constitute entertainment?’
- ‘Smooth-coated otters are omnivorous and will eat insects, earthworms, crustaceans, frogs, water rats, turtles, large birds, and fish.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.