One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mill worked by a waterwheel.
- ‘The artist takes as his viewpoint the vista from Gun Hill, high above the gentle Suffolk vale, looking down towards the Stour valley, Dedham church and the watermill where his father worked.’
- ‘It was, actually, an old, abandoned watermill by the edge of the village, just beside a beautiful meadow that was filled with the most amazing wild flowers and plant life anyone could ever set eyes on.’
- ‘My watermill in the Dordogne is shared with a family I have holidayed with for 25 years.’
- ‘Soon enough, an old watermill appeared across the horizon, and as they approached it he spotted the familiar stature of a young boy sitting on the topmost propeller.’
- ‘It was a former watermill, masterfully converted into a cosy modern Bed-and-Breakfast hotel, with two rooms and a bunkhouse outside.’
- ‘Today some 350 watermills and windmills take part in the open weekend.’
- ‘Not that I've outgrown New York, were that even possible, but in idle moments I have found myself combing property ads for old watermills and converted stables.’
- ‘Swapping a studio in Portobello for the working environment of a restored watermill in Angus has done wonders for their spirits and health, he said.’
- ‘Wichamstow is just one of the more than 3,000 estates in Anglo-Saxon England with a watermill (many of these estates have more than one mill).’
- ‘A popular footpath at Manton, near Marlborough could be diverted away from a former watermill.’
- ‘How is it that we can be so enthralled by a timber circle, a hillfort, a medieval watermill, an ancient wood?’
- ‘Ana and Nick restored the watermill at Little Salkeld in 1975, and have been milling the finest organic and biodynamic British grains ever since.’
- ‘Other monastic buildings within the precinct, which is 1000 m. long and 400 m. wide, include a watermill and guest houses.’
- ‘Seven watermills on the stream that meanders along by the canal were lost when the canal was built.’
- ‘This settlement has two wooden watermills, too, one of which is still used to grind wheat.’
- ‘Peaceful sounds of nature, combined with water running through a mill wheel, set the tone for a soothing, scenic tour around a deserted watermill.’
- ‘In my case, the problem was the colour of the shutters on my lovely old watermill.’
- ‘One of the earliest watermills yet found in Britain has been excavated at a quarry a few miles north of Hereford.’
- ‘In the distance, sat a large village with a moving windmill and watermill.’
- ‘Weeks of hot weather had produced a good harvest, but many watermills were becalmed by drought, so flour remained scarce.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.