One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long, thin aquatic bug which walks slowly on the surface film of water and spears small prey with its beak.
- ‘Species which are found include mayfly larvae, Great Diving Beetles and their larvae, water fleas, frogs, toads, newts and their tadpoles, water lice, pond skaters, water measurers and many others.’
- ‘Last year I had one water measurer visit the pond but I didn't get the chance to see it in action because the Pond Skaters ate it!’
- ‘Has a broader body than the water measurer and a considerably shorter head, which has largish eyes.’
- ‘Other creatures inhabiting the surface film of bog pools are pond skaters, water measurers and water crickets.’
- ‘Right, the water measurer prepares to climb the mensicus by drying its non-wetting claws.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.