Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The height reached by the water in a reservoir, river, storage tank, etc.
- ‘The pump is powerful enough to create a vortex in the reservoir and if the water level is too low, this vortex will reach down into the pump inlet and bubbles will be pumped through the system.’
- ‘During an average year, the water level in the reserve can rise thirty to forty feet.’
- ‘As the water level reached the top, I shut off the tap, bringing the glass up to my lips and sipping it silently.’
- ‘The clear knob at the front allows you to keep an eye on water level in the external reservoir/pump/radiator box.’
- ‘It's said that as one herd crossed a river it would raise the water level several feet.’
- ‘The administration has, however, established a control room near the river to monitor its water level round the clock.’
- ‘Down river in the community, the water level rises only minimally.’
- ‘The question is: what happens to the water level in the fish tank?’
- ‘When the water level reaches too close for comfort the villagers would dismantle their homes and move further up the hill.’
- ‘In the 1990s, low rainfall caused the River Gambia's water level to become low.’
- ‘The water level in the 1,819 foot high Linganamakki reservoir rose to 1794.30 feet, up by three feet in one day.’
- ‘This will remove 770 million gallons of water from Mugdock, leaving 110 million gallons and a water level of 282 ft in the reservoir.’
- ‘At the Shihmen Dam in Taoyuan County, the water level yesterday reached 220m, or 31.9 percent of the reservoir's capacity.’
- ‘The water level was extremely high, and the river was almost overflowing over the dam.’
- ‘In fact, throughout November and early December, the water level in the tank was three-four feet.’
- ‘Even a midsize or small river can overflow into streets if a storm causes the water level to rise quickly.’
- ‘With the light showers, the water level improved in the tank.’
- ‘The switch activates the bilge pump when the rising water level reaches a depth of 2 inches.’
- ‘Measures were taken immediately to bring down the water level in the reservoir, near which 17 houses were flooded, the Civil Defence office said.’
- ‘If the water level is too low, the ship would hit the river bottom.’
- 1.1another term for water table
2An instrument that uses water to indicate the horizontal.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.