One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An obstacle in a jumping competition or steeplechase, where a horse must jump over or into water.
- ‘Both noted that the line of fences 6, 7 and 8, which was a vertical of red planks to the twenty-foot water jump to a Liverpool oxer of white poles, was most tricky.’
- ‘Though problems were few and far between, the coffin complex at fence 16 claimed it share of victims, as did the first water jump.’
- ‘The grey horse just made too many mistakes over the big obstacles, though ironically it was a bad error at the smallest fence, the water jump, which ended his chances.’
- ‘Carbury Cross also made a showing after the water jump as Monty's Pass moved to join the leaders for the first time.’
- ‘Personally I can't wait for Her Fineness to get caught out in the water jump.’
- ‘Two opera singers will join a military band at the Aintree course's water jump for a rendition of the National Anthem, watched by millions of TV viewers worldwide.’
- ‘It includes numerous special features, such as water jumps and drop fences, for the 350 entrants.’
- ‘Azertyuiop, who made a bad mistake at the water jump, had to settle for third, a further 13 lengths in arrears.’
- ‘Four horses fell at the first two fences and we hadn't even approached Bechers Brook - a treacherous five-foot fence which falls away sharply into a water jump.’
- ‘If he runs a blinder and makes it over the water jump who knows?’
- ‘Though they seem to have mastered the water jump this time around, rails still fell often, although the faults were generals spread out over the course.’
- ‘The shortened course didn't feature the dreaded water jump, but it did have two elements from the triple combination.’
- ‘Stunning doesn't have a great history of handling four-star water jumps, especially here at Rolex, but Fox-Pitt took his time, and rode strongly through the two complexes, and got it done.’
- ‘The two water jumps, the coffin at number 6, and the sunken road caused the majority of the problems.’
- ‘Only a couple of miles in, Argo fell at the water jump, dislocating a shoulder he had injured earlier that summer.’
- ‘The 16th is the water jump, which only stands two feet high and acts as a confidence-restorer after The Chair.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.