One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A garden with pools or a stream, for growing aquatic plants.
- ‘As you plan your water garden, consider the aquatic plants you may want to include in it.’
- ‘He built a water garden and a mulch pit in the 1960s when such things were unheard of.’
- ‘With its two shallow ponds, a stream, a waterfall, and a narrow arbor-covered bridge that drips purple blooms of wisteria, the water garden offers all the serenity and grace of a classic Japanese design.’
- ‘Once your water garden is up and growing, it will require very little in the way of maintenance.’
- ‘In the water garden at Camus Park, Co Tipperary, naturalised ferns, grasses, Anemones, Hellebores and Primulas thrive in the carefully planned shelter of trees.’
- ‘Undaunted, Margaret has created a garden of rare character, with both formal and informal areas, including an orchard and a water garden.’
- ‘We entered the North water garden, crossing over moss covered ground and I motioned for them to have a seat on the carved marble benches.’
- ‘The party had four separate ‘zones’: a Japanese water garden, a nightclub, a forest and a dining area, while the invitation asked guests to wear ‘white tie and diamonds’.’
- ‘The go-ahead means that 29-year-old Kate and her 39-year-old husband can carry on with a landscaping scheme that includes restoring the existing water garden.’
- ‘The introduction of plants and fish to the water garden is something that can be done a little each season.’
- ‘Some gardens, mine included, are designed with a water garden as a central feature.’
- ‘We imagined evergreen swags and bright poinsettias giving way to quieter displays of moss tucked in copper trays, a tranquil water garden, and other gentle reminders of spring.’
- ‘A modest water garden can be contained in a barrel or trough or you can have an elaborate pond with streams, fountains and waterfalls.’
- ‘Designed astride one of Europe's longest herbaceous borders are numerous formal gardens, including a tropical garden, rose garden and water garden.’
- ‘Plants are critical elements in a water garden and are appreciated as much by the fish as by the gardener.’
- ‘Jake Thorne's table is located at a secluded corner table right next to a window-wall looking out a miniature water garden with a lily pond and some romantic windmills.’
- ‘To operate any electrical equipment near a water garden, use an outdoor outlet.’
- ‘There he created art twice over, developing a spectacular garden including a water garden inspired by the Japanese and then capturing its features - a Japanese bridge, the waterlilies - in large and dramatic canvases.’
- ‘Vineyards and covered bridges dot this county, and the largest water garden in the U.S., the Lilypons Water Gardens, is in Buckeystown.’
- ‘Now a patio, a pergola, and a water garden animate the space, and the yard has become an outdoor room that's at once rich and relaxing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.