Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for daphnia
- ‘Crustaceans range in size from the American lobster, weighing up to 20 kg, and the Japanese spider crab - with a leg span of up to 3.7 m - to water fleas that can be less than a millimetre in length.’
- ‘Water for animals of such a small size, including larval fish, brine shrimp, and water fleas, is essentially like syrup.’
- ‘Next, the resulting value is compared with the predicted ‘no effect’ concentration, extrapolated from laboratory testing on indicative species such as fish, water fleas and algae.’
- ‘We studied allozyme variation in metapopulations of two species of water fleas in the skerry archipelago of southern Finland.’
- ‘With the assistance of local health authorities, communities are being taught to use nylon or cloth filters to eliminate water fleas which are the intermediate hosts for the dracunculus medinensis parasite.’
water flea/ˈwädər flē//ˈwôdər/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.