One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The tuber of a tropical sedge that is widely used in Asian cooking, its white flesh remaining crisp after cooking.
- ‘Deep-frozen eyeballs might have the same consistency, somewhere between a water chestnut and a lychee; a cavernous void would have had more flavour.’
- ‘Be careful because a tiny cube of crisp water chestnut, together with some hot juice, is wrapped in the core of each ball.’
- ‘Create themes for your raw veggies such as an Asian mix with snow peas, cucumber slices, shredded carrots, water chestnuts, bean sprouts and bok choy.’
- ‘Add ginger, dried and fresh mushrooms, water chestnuts and beansprouts and toss well.’
- ‘This was not your usual lumps of chicken floating on a sea of oyster sauce and a sprinkle of cashews, but had crispy water chestnuts, some pieces of sausage, mushroom and fried chilli as well.’
- ‘Drain well, then add beans, orange sections and water chestnuts.’
- ‘Or add flavour at the end in the form of smoked or raw fish, scallops, sliced and marinated beef, Chinese roast pork, finely chopped water chestnut or finely shredded iceberg lettuce.’
- ‘Sweetened scrambled egg yolk with water chestnuts, sweet corns and dried fruits is a dim sum created by the chef, crisp and soft.’
- ‘The dish included a good range of crunchy vegetables - broccoli, green peppers, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, cashew nuts and onion among them.’
- ‘Oh, I thought this was a potato, but they're more like water chestnuts.’
- ‘The sizzling chicken with a spicy Peking sauce proved very popular and came with bean sprouts, crispy water chestnuts and small shapes of carrot in a very tasty sweet and sour barbecue sauce.’
- ‘It contained rump steak, mushrooms, peppers, water chestnuts and bamboo shoots.’
- ‘In the latter stages of cooking add water chestnuts, small corns, green beans and a tin of coconut milk.’
- ‘Drain the vinegar from the clam and add the sweet pea juice, wasabi, water chestnuts, chili, parsley and sea salt and toss to combine.’
- ‘With her fingers, she picked up a water chestnut experimentally and placed it in her mouth.’
- ‘The sautéed mushrooms, celery, tiny corn, water chestnut and snow peas are specially recommended - they were healthy and light, half fried so that the colour was bright and the vegetables crisp and full of juice.’
- ‘Clark spears a water chestnut with his chopstick while trying to pick it up.’
- ‘After 1 minute, add snow peas, bean sprouts, water chestnuts and sliced red capsicum to wok.’
- ‘Add the prawns, cornflour, paste and bamboo shoots, carrots, water chestnuts and bean sprouts.’
- ‘The water chestnuts went with the baby corn and straw mushrooms very well, and the cream cut the chilli heat to perfection.’
2The sedge that yields water chestnut, which is cultivated in flooded fields in Southeast Asia.
- ‘Where I lived in up-state New York someone got the bright idea of growing water chestnuts in a pond as a crop.’
3An aquatic plant with small white flowers, producing an edible rounded seed with two large projecting horns.
- ‘Edible plants for your pond include watercress, water chestnuts, and arrowhead or Wapato.’
- ‘Eleocharis dulcis, is not a nut and is a completely different plant from the water chestnuts of the genus Trapa.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.