One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not easily penetrated by water, especially as a result of being treated for such a purpose with a surface coating.
watertight, waterproof, damp-proof, water-resistant, airtight, tight, sealed, hermetically sealed, closedView synonyms
- ‘Because they are water-repellent, they are used as insulating varnish on electric motors and for high temperature greases and lubricants.’
- ‘Silicone rubber is the ideal sealant for kitchens and bathrooms, as it is non-toxic and water-repellent.’
- ‘Both butterfat and frog wax owe their water-repellent properties to organic compounds called lipids - the key components of the water barriers present in a variety of plants, arthropods, and vertebrates.’
- ‘And a number of other companies have their own proprietary insulation and water-repellent or wind-repellent fabrics.’
- ‘Multi-layer microfibres, resin and rubber coated cotton are available in a line of water-repellent jackets.’
- ‘That may be achieved by locating the nest in such a way that it does not get wet, or by protecting the inner insulating material with a water-repellent outer layer.’
- ‘At the time, the only existing standards were for water-repellent fabrics under prolonged exposure or materials subjected to liquid under pressure - these were not suitable.’
- ‘The rough winters of Norway nurtured the forest cat's vitality, resourcefulness and sensible, semi-long, water-repellent coat.’
- ‘They're very tough and soaked in paraffin, like English Barbour coats, so they're very water-repellent and won't snag on thorns.’
- ‘To the contrary, caribou underfur (like caribou skin in general) is not waterproof or water-repellent: moisture penetrates it easily.’
- ‘When you do expose your skin, give it a good coating of a water-repellent sunscreen first.’
- ‘This water-repellent jacket features an interior stash pocket, hand-warmer pockets and no-snag zipper.’
- ‘It comes in a sleek microfiber bag that is also water-repellent.’
- ‘By now most of our soils are so dry they've become water-repellent and what little rain we've received has barely penetrated the surface.’
- ‘He used a flat limestone on which the design was drawn with a water-repellent, greasy substance like a crayon.’
- ‘Their white coats ensure excellent camouflage against the snow and are water-repellent.’
- ‘It was noted that the contact surface of the tarsi of the beetle Hemisphaerota cyanea (Chrysomelidae, Cassidinae) is water-repellent.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.