Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a substance or solution) using or having water as a medium or main ingredient.‘a water-based paint’
- ‘I'll stick with a water-based solution for now.’
- ‘Compared with water-based coatings, hot-melt adhesive coatings ensure anchorage and eliminate the risk of residue depositing on the medical device.’
- ‘We tend to use water-based paints, as these are much more friendly to the environment.’
- ‘When using a water-based glaze on our clay projects, I asked a second-grader what color he wanted to use.’
- ‘It also vowed to improve air quality in plants by switching to more costly water-based glues and by improving ventilation.’
- ‘Wooden eggs were coated with a water-based wood finish and then sanded prior to painting with acrylic paint.’
- ‘Was the glue used in binding a water-based resin adhesive?’
- ‘We've designed the building so that the indoor air quality is quite high, so we've used all water-based paints and glues.’
- ‘Since water always contains a balanced amount of the two ions and the equation shown above is true for all water-based solutions, the following equation can be formed.’
- ‘Its sustainably forested wood is stained with nontoxic, water-based dyes.’
- ‘They could use small amounts of thick, water-based glue applied with a toothpick.’
- ‘That fluoride, as well as naturally occurring fluoride in some well and municipal water supplies, then finds its way into water-based beverages and foods.’
- ‘People learn how to hand decorate a collection of unglazed pottery with water-based glazes.’
- ‘It needs to dry out a bit before we can recoat it with a water-based wood preservative.’
- ‘Pieces may be attached with glue or any water-based adhesive.’
- ‘In fact, the paint was chosen because acrylic or water-based paint would not stick to tiles or run across the roof, and would therefore be less difficult to remove.’
- ‘The main drawback of water-based coatings is that dispersing polymers in water inevitably incurs a penalty in terms of chemical resistance properties.’
- ‘You can get these at paint stores (they must be water-based pigments) or at construction supply houses that sell integral color for concrete.’
- ‘Demonstrating great skill in their medium, the 19 artists involved stretch and explore the physical properties of water-based paint.’
- ‘We use a modern water-based timber preservative that doesn't flake, and we just put on one coat with no need for preparation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.