One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an employee) be overly strict or zealous about not working more than one's required hours.‘when people are accountable, they stop watching the clock’
- ‘I tried this and actually zipped through an hour's worth of work while watching the clock for both my next break and my next flash of work.’
- ‘Show up on time, don't watch the clock, keep busy.’
- ‘So I watch the clock, longing for lunch hour, when I might be able to run an errand or at least do some yoga.’
- ‘One sign that I love my job is that I never watch the clock.’
- ‘They never watched the clock, never dreaded Mondays, never worried about the years passing by.’
- ‘How many jobs are there where individuals are just watching the clock until they can scamper home?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.