One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device in a turbocharger which regulates the pressure at which exhaust gases pass to the turbine by opening or closing a vent to the exterior.
- ‘Gases passed through the supercharger and out the wastegate, after driving the turbine bucket wheel.’
- ‘Unusually, the computer controller leaves the turbo's wastegate open most of the time.’
- ‘Fortunately the ventilation is good here; it's a very advanced system with distributed wireless sensors controlling the wastegates.’
- ‘Plus you can use the electric motor to eliminate the need for a separate wastegate, eliminate throttle lag, and take advantage of an air bearing's lower friction by using a smaller motor/generator unit.’
- ‘Its turbocharged, 698 cc, three-cylinder engine makes a fluttering sound every time you back off the throttle, caused by the turbo's wastegate releasing pressurised exhaust gases.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.