Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device in a turbocharger that regulates the pressure at which exhaust gases pass to the turbine by opening or closing a vent to the exterior.
- ‘Unusually, the computer controller leaves the turbo's wastegate open most of the time.’
- ‘Fortunately the ventilation is good here; it's a very advanced system with distributed wireless sensors controlling the wastegates.’
- ‘Gases passed through the supercharger and out the wastegate, after driving the turbine bucket wheel.’
- ‘Its turbocharged, 698 cc, three-cylinder engine makes a fluttering sound every time you back off the throttle, caused by the turbo's wastegate releasing pressurised exhaust gases.’
- ‘Plus you can use the electric motor to eliminate the need for a separate wastegate, eliminate throttle lag, and take advantage of an air bearing's lower friction by using a smaller motor/generator unit.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.