One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A receptacle for small quantities of trash.
- ‘Brushing crumbs into a wastebasket, Sean started to brew a fresh pot.’
- ‘After eating her bedtime snack, she put her spoon and glass in the sink that had her dinner dishes, and the empty yogurt container in a nearby wastebasket.’
- ‘He indicated the photo of a really cute guy that was resting at the bottom of her stained glass wastebasket.’
- ‘She took my plate and scraped the food into my wastebasket.’
- ‘Back in the early eighties, one of the maintenance employees asked if I knew how much it cost to line every wastebasket with a plastic bag: $1,200 a year.’
- ‘As Writer #5 watches, Lionel takes the writer's wastebasket, empties it out over his desk, tosses the script in the basket and douses it with gasoline.’
- ‘But I do what I can with the plastic by reusing plastic bags to line the wastebasket and by saving plastic containers for other uses.’
- ‘Simon left, glancing one more time at his discarded cigar in Jim's wastebasket.’
- ‘The final section of the show featured a miniature artist's office, with file cabinet, worktable, chair and wastebasket all set out on a funky full-sized work table.’
- ‘First, she lines the bottom of a rectangular plastic wastebasket with several thicknesses of black and white newspaper.’
- ‘Drifts of paper - treaty drafts, industry talking points, environmentalist press releases - overflowed every wastebasket.’
- ‘Right on the floor by the exit was a small blue wastebasket.’
- ‘He bent over to grab the brown metal wastebasket and brandish it like a shield, making her laugh.’
- ‘I slipped off my newer skirt and threw it in the laundry basket opposite the wastebasket and began to unbutton my blouse.’
- ‘I sighed, dropped the bag into the wastebasket, and tapped my fingers against the marble counter.’
- ‘Hey, if you need, that wastebasket makes for a handy bucket, you know.’
- ‘The test tube still lay on the edge of the sink; she wrapped it and its box in paper towels and unceremoniously chucked them into the wastebasket.’
- ‘A hand reached out awkwardly, bumping her elbow against the roll of toilet paper hanging above a plastic green wastebasket.’
- ‘The student had her own desk and computer and wastebasket, which they emptied.’
- ‘Glaring at the milk carton Mercy threw the soaked towel of milk into the green tin wastebasket.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.