One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pipe carrying waste water, such as that from a sink, bathtub, or shower, to a drain.
- ‘I want waste pipes to be slick tubes, tightly sealed.’
- ‘Some valuable information was given about cleaning grates, waste pipes, and gullies, in order to keep down offensive smells, and parents were encouraged to follow the advice given on feeding babies.’
- ‘Yesterday I took advantage of the nice weather to get a bit of gardening and some house maintenance done, finding a broken kitchen sink waste pipe in the back yard in the process.’
- ‘In the past, asbestos has been widely used by South African companies to produce a wide range of products, including gaskets, seals, brake linings, roofing sheets, gutters and other building products, waste pipes and flower pots.’
- ‘If slugs are seen, it is usually because they are coming in from outside, often under a door or perhaps through a gap around a waste pipe.’
- ‘In the space at the back of our stairs we found a small room, a small room that contained the soil stack, into which the offending waste pipe terminated.’
- ‘This week the plumbing seemed to spontaneously combust, first the kitchen tap sprung a leak and then last night the waste pipe under the bath gave up!’
- ‘My trusty builder snapped me out of it with talk of sewers, waste pipes and gravity, so I settled for a semi-sunken one instead.’
- ‘In a catalogue of incidents costing hundreds of pounds vandals wrecked a floodlight after climbing onto a clubhouse roof, damaged waste pipes, damaged the roof, and left broken glass and litter lying on the pitch.’
- ‘Potentially harmful leaks from waste pipes can also be located, enabling repairs to be carried out quickly.’
- ‘Quantities of asbestos are still to be found in houses and offices, including insulation boards in cupboards, guttering and waste pipes, roof tiles and wall-plugging compounds.’
- ‘Plumber number one tightened the fixing for the waste pipe - but two weeks later the bath was still leaking.’
- ‘I realised he was under the floor, in an old drainage waste pipe.’
- ‘And they say other faults including a gut-wrenching stench due to the plumber's failure to connect the kitchen sink waste pipe to the sewer kept emerging.’
- ‘Aldo has been blasting a hole in the 3ft wall for the waste pipe.’
- ‘Our old one still worked - sort of - but the filter for the waste pipe was giving us problems, and the wash cycle didn't always advance properly.’
- ‘He alleges the roof has not been properly insulated, plumbing throughout the bungalow has not been installed correctly and waste pipes are blocked and need replacing with new ones.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.