One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very narrow or tightly corseted waist.
- ‘The look defines a determined woman; a woman who carries off a classically man-tailored suit complete with tie and asserts her femininity with a sheer silk blouse and wasp waist.’
- ‘The wasp waist becomes the focus as the tie dye velvet jacket is teamed with a full pleated skirt creating a feminine feel.’
- ‘Fashion in clothes often influences body shape - witness the corset and the wasp waist.’
- ‘The dress was a pale lime green, it had a wasp waist and the skirt was gathered the tiniest bit to give it some twirl.’
- ‘I had planned on wearing a gown she had made for me, but she came in my door, holding a gown of dark blue, with sliver embroidery on the neck, sleeves, hem, and wasp waist.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.