One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large metal tub used for washing clothes and linen.
- ‘Emily was sitting on a chair, next to the washtub, talking to Hannah, who was kneeling at the tub helping a girl bath.’
- ‘When I was young, my mom had washtubs, those cast iron things.’
- ‘Lacey quickly opened the door wider allowing them scurry in and empty the steaming buckets in the washtub.’
- ‘Overstuffed pink chairs and a couch rested in one corner, a small kitchenette with a washtub and icebox in another.’
- ‘I use old plastic nursery cans and cheap plastic washtubs.’
- ‘They have a washtub and there is plenty of hot water.’
- ‘Instead of chairs, there were large metal washtubs that all the present band members had turned over to sit on.’
- ‘If you must use a bathtub, washtub, or kitchen sink to wash screens.’
- ‘Tanner's thoughts began to tumble around, sloshing together like laundry in a washtub.’
- ‘You can also achieve this effect by planting moisture lovers, such as cardinal flower and Japanese iris, in a bucket or a washtub or by using heavy polyethylene plastic instead of a pond liner.’
- ‘Frankly, I think they'll be better off with a clothesline and a washtub…’
- ‘They do all the cooking, cleaning, and laundry (in old-fashioned washtubs, with no electric dryers).’
- ‘Tin washtubs, available at most home centers, make great containers for beer and soft drinks.’
- ‘A bedpan, a urinal, a washtub, a bucket, a table, a bed, the chair by the window… everything was crammed into that small space.’
- ‘The clothes were brought in by the girl with the boy; two men carrying a large washtub and kettles of steaming water accompanied her.’
- ‘She picked up the two sheets and dragged them over to the washtub before angrily throwing them in.’
- ‘Once Rupert loaded all his cargo into his little washtub, he got directions and a list of houses.’
- ‘‘We can also use that metal washtub that's near the garage,’ Tommy replied.’
- ‘After all, the band hall was a portable, the chairs were overturned metal washtubs, there was no air conditioning, and now three of the four buses had died.’
- ‘Two large washtubs or large gourds are placed next to each other and partially filled with water.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.