Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Including features or qualities that are not appealing or attractive.‘Philip must learn to accept me, warts and all’
unvarnished, truthful, realistic, true to lifestraightforward, plain, simple, stark, naked, baldcandid, honest, frank, outspoken, forthright, plain-spoken, direct, blunt, downright, brutal, harsh, straight from the shoulder, explicit, unequivocal, unambiguous, unexaggerated, unadorned, undisguised, unveiled, unqualifiedupfrontView synonyms
- ‘I'm proud to be a citizen and part of this country, warts and all.’
- ‘As painful as it might be, you had to fully assume that person's point of view/art style - warts and all.’
- ‘Imagine, though, being in the presence of someone who knew you fully, warts and all, and still accepted you anyway.’
- ‘I think most British people have looked at their own history, what's left of it on the syllabus, and seen it warts and all.’
- ‘If Scotland is to be a grown-up country, sure of itself and aware of its strengths and its failings, it should be capable of allowing itself to be presented warts and all.’
- ‘I know that I am right to take a stand against this wrong being done behind our backs without the whole of Sligo being given the whole truthful facts - warts and all.’
- ‘It took a chance and went with the story, warts and all.’
- ‘O'Neill looks back fondly to a time when a truthful portrait, warts and all, was the true art of the portrait photographer.’
- ‘He discusses his entire career, warts and all, in breathtaking and surprisingly honest fashion.’
- ‘He encouraged those writers who honestly and artistically shed light on Soviet reality, warts and all.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.