One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ship equipped with weapons and designed to take part in warfare at sea.
- ‘The crew of two Royal Navy warships returned home from the war in Iraq yesterday to a noisy reception from loved ones.’
- ‘He is the only junior rating to have a warship named for him, the Collins class submarine HMAS Sheean.’
- ‘Two Royal Navy warships have taken up the rare opportunity to participate in Russian Navy Days.’
- ‘Then it was rolled down to the water's edge along a walkway and loaded on to a powder hoy to be ferried to the waiting warship.’
- ‘The Bangladeshi Navy has a number of former British warships in its fleet, according to Jane's Fighting Ships.’
- ‘Traditionally a warship's paying-off pennant is the length of the ship plus one foot for every year of service.’
- ‘The warship was stripped of weapons in 1985 and used as a Navigational Training ship.’
- ‘Wind has disrupted the advance of great warships like battleships and aircraft carriers.’
- ‘Seven British warships and support vessels have set off on a voyage around the world to mark the new millennium.’
- ‘This applied research programme is intended for use in both existing and future Royal Navy surface warships.’
- ‘The warships and support ships at the Pang-nga Naval Pier were in disarray.’
- ‘In the medieval period there was no absolute distinction between merchant ships and warships.’
- ‘He designed merchant ships and warships which were later to play a major role in the Second World War.’
- ‘On some ships, particularly warships, the winch and hawse pipes might be below the deck.’
- ‘She is designed to replenish warships with bunker and aviation fuel, lubricants and fresh water.’
- ‘Royal Navy warships are constantly engaged in large exercises and Sheffield is no exception.’
- ‘Kent is one of the Navy's latest warships, having joined the Fleet in 2000.’
- ‘These ships accounted for the sinking or damaging of a number of warships and merchant ships.’
- ‘About 24 British Royal Navy warships as well as 23,000 British troops are in the region.’
- ‘Hmas Stuart one of the Royal Australian Navy's newest warships has been given her pink slip.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.