One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A military commander, especially an aggressive regional commander with individual autonomy.
- ‘The real struggle now is to bring the warlords together to manage the peace.’
- ‘Some are the personal armies of aspiring warlords, out to conquer as much territory as they can and hold it by force.’
- ‘Renegade warlords and militants now control much of the main island of Guadalcanal.’
- ‘The warlord was in Central Asia, in the region along the old border of Afghanistan and China.’
- ‘President Charles Taylor is a former warlord who seized power and then was elected to it.’
- ‘Last week Karzai threatened to resign unless regional warlords paid more revenue into central government coffers.’
- ‘The shipowners often draw up contracts with local officials, clan elders or regional warlords.’
- ‘Mr Taylor emerged the strongest warlord from that conflict and won presidential elections the following year.’
- ‘The US is buying off regional warlords and militia commanders for a variety of reasons.’
- ‘The warlords already control several small but important enclaves across Afghanistan.’
- ‘An Anglo-Saxon ruler of this period was above all else a warlord, a dryhten, as the Old-English sources put it.’
- ‘The regional and local warlords who were the key allies of the US against the Taliban are not advocates of women's rights.’
- ‘Anything that threatened the interests of the regional warlords would be vetoed.’
- ‘Somaliland, in the north, and Puntland, in the north east, are in the hands of autonomous warlords.’
- ‘Witnesses have told an Old Bailey jury they were imprisoned in a blood-stained room and beaten under the command of an Afghan warlord.’
- ‘Opium is grown freely in the countryside and gathered by farmers who sell it to factories employed by, or paying off, the local warlord.’
- ‘Somalia has been destroyed as a country, it has been torn into patches which are run by rebel armies of tribal warlords.’
- ‘These networks soon recruited tribal warlords and mobilised tribal extended families.’
- ‘Just handing over the country to the warlords of the Northern Alliance once the war against the Taliban is won would be a kind of betrayal.’
- ‘The analogy was that this was a nation ruled by twelve regional warlords.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.