One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman in charge of the construction and organization of the costumes in a theatrical company.
- ‘Richard has provided the Japanese text from which the Rosemere wardrobe mistress, Janet Hardman, has created three stunning banners to dress the set.’
- ‘Since the show takes place in a variety of locales, kudos go to the set designers, prop men, and wardrobe mistresses who had to create two entirely different shows each week.’
- ‘Costumes were put on just before we were due to go on, according to Mr. B and his formidable Russian wardrobe mistress.’
- ‘Mr Bland's wife Janet, who is the theatre school's wardrobe mistress, has banned her accident-prone husband from going anywhere near anything sharp and from playing football.’
- ‘During the day Sheena works as a wardrobe mistress, which means she mixes with a lot of young people, so she finds the variety of people in her evening classes both stimulating and fun.’
- ‘A Leigh-born wardrobe mistress and costumier to the stars, Jean Hunnisett, has died aged 73.’
- ‘I am an amateur wardrobe mistress who has been given items of fur over the years.’
- ‘Cynthia was nominated by Jenny Taylor, wardrobe mistress on many of Cynthia's productions.’
- ‘The band, armed with nothing but a couple of catchy tunes, a few metres of spandex and an imaginative wardrobe mistress, stormed up the album charts.’
- ‘Scottish Ballet's wardrobe mistress is transporting nine large mouse heads, actually lifelike rubber masks cunningly fashioned to resemble the stuff of nightmares, behind the scenes at Glasgow's Theatre Royal.’
- ‘The teams then work with a professional lighting technician, set carpenter, and wardrobe mistress.’
- ‘The wardrobe mistress came from Kubrick's stable, and the make-up is flawless (and won the movie an Oscar nomination).’
- ‘Brian Brady directs all the action and also takes charge of musical direction while Michelle Wise takes care of the choreography and local member Alice McCann is the wardrobe mistress.’
- ‘The authentic costumes for the York production were hand-made by wardrobe mistress Margaret Soper.’
- ‘After a spell as the wardrobe manager's personal assistant, she became wardrobe mistress for the Sadler's Wells World Theatre Ballet Company.’
- ‘The back of the hall is given over entirely to Bernie Dunne, wardrobe mistress and her helpers.’
- ‘William Baker is no longer just Kylie's wardrobe mistress; he's now her Creative Director.’
- ‘If I hadn't become a successful actor I'd have been a wardrobe mistress, without a doubt.’
- ‘The Sunday Times's own wardrobe mistress, Claudia Croft, will be on hand to offer advice.’
- ‘Michael Hinchy is the musical director and the onerous task of wardrobe mistress is in the capable hands of Sandra Finn.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.