Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A vintage military aircraft.
- ‘This will culminate in a choreographed sunset finale featuring a group flyover of Lake Burley Griffin by warbirds and modern aircraft, as well as an F - 111 dump and burn, music and spectacular fireworks.’
- ‘The current generation of ADF aircraft were complemented by a P - 51 Mustang from the RAAF Museum, and other warbirds, including the Wirraway and T28 Trojan.’
- ‘Amberley's Defence Airshow was launched on August 26 with a dump and burn from a No.6 Squadron F - 111 and a highspeed run by a Mustang warbird.’
- ‘The featured warbirds were a P - 40 Kittyhawk, a P - 51 Mustang, a Spitfire, a Hudson, a Tiger Moth, a Catalina and a venerable DC - 3 Dakota, of Bully Beef resupply fame.’
- ‘For relaxation, he racks up flight time in his second restored L - 39 Aero Albatros jet warbird, often with wife Denise in the co-pilot's seat.’
- ‘The flying displays began with model aircraft demonstrations followed by gliders and civilian and warbird aircraft, including a Cathay Pacific A330 and Winjeel trainer.’
- ‘Four of us pilots ran to our warbirds and four fully-armed F - 106s took off immediately in my flight.’
- ‘The Kemble Air Day brought the best examples of vintage jets and warbirds together at one airfield along with modern RAF aircraft.’
- ‘This year the show is aiming to bring the best vintage jets and warbirds together on display alongside more modern RAF types and the Red Arrows themselves.’
- ‘Supermodel and forces sweetheart Nell McAndrew provided a welcome splash of glamour against the drab greys and greens of a collection of classic warbirds yesterday.’
- ‘This remarkable warbird and its younger sibling, the MC - 130H Combat Talon II (which is only in its second decade of use), continue to prove themselves in combat in both Afghanistan and Iraq.’
- ‘Your scribe's eyes were also taken with a beautiful Mosquito and I was forced to reflect how ‘right’ these warbirds look in the sky.’
- ‘AVM Kindler spoke about Australia's contributions to aviation, particularly our valuable warbird heritage.’
- ‘The DC - 3 was everything from warbird to rescue craft and everything in between.’
- ‘He does not use it as a corporate aircraft, but did take up a customer who was considering buying his own warbird.’
- ‘‘We'll have ultralights, light aircraft and general aviation - like Cessnas and a couple of warbirds including a twin pioneer, which people can have joyrides on,’ John said.’
- ‘For some time, all aircrews remained ready and awaiting orders to launch while staying near or sleeping with our warbirds.’
- ‘I hope that all the spectators this weekend feel what I feel when I see the mighty warbirds flying high.’
- ‘Ultra-light, heavy warbird metal, classic class the Spring sun shone on polished aluminium and glossy timber.’
- ‘A potpourri of antique warbirds, aerobatic airplanes, skydivers, the United States Honor Guard and classic amphibs come together along the famous Seven Mile Beach to put on the show.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.