One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of lumber laid horizontally in or on a wall as a support for a girder, rafter, or joist.
- ‘Pull the wires through the opening of the new programmable thermostat wall plate and fasten the wires into place with the color-coded screws provided.’
- ‘Thieves broke into the home of Ross and Jill Wheeler in the early hours of July 8 stealing antique silver, a canteen of cutlery set in a mahogany box, 13 wall plates and their Peugeot 307 car.’
- ‘All the roof timbers have been retained in the church except where a rafter of wall plate was absolutely rotten.’
- ‘In this version the bottom of both the high and low joists bear directly on the wall plates.’
- ‘The structural system for these volumes, seemingly stacked at random, is a 100-foot tall, three-dimensional frame containing six faced boxes that are shaped by a composition of floor and wall plates.’
- ‘The cables terminate in wall plates, and the plates have a variety of connection points in them that allow you to simply plug things in.’
- ‘The wall plate top cap is fitted last, meaning the fitter has to climb over the roof to fit it.’
- ‘The lead was dressed over the top of the fascia boards and, on the inside, it was dressed over the wall plate and the lower part of each rafter.’
- ‘The same is true for smaller baseboards and ceiling moldings, which are nailed into the top and bottom wall plates rather than into the studs.’
- ‘Use construction adhesive rather than nails or screws to adhere your bottom wall plate to the floor.’
- ‘Around the tourmalines were a dozen more wall plates, including a fine quartz cluster weighing nearly 100 kilograms.’
- ‘The keypads feature a wall plate which can be customised with engraving and a particular finish to match a specific decor.’
- ‘The five-bay hammerbeam roof, resting on an embattled and moulded wall plate, has cambered collars, angels, and armorial bosses.’
- ‘Joists twenty-two feet long, counting the overhang for the cornice, three and one-half inches wide and just six inches deep are notched into the outside wall plate on approximately twelve-inch centers.’
- ‘The wall plate supporting the ground floor structure was not isolated from the damp walls and was, itself, damp.’
- ‘The company specializes in the design and production of vintage European outdoor lighting, as well as accessories like mailboxes, wall plates, and bollards.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.