One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fixed to a wall.
- ‘There's even a fantastically useless wall-mounted electric hob with vertically placed hotplates that seems to revel in its impracticality and urge reluctant cooks to go to the pub instead.’
- ‘Kuo sold some of his shares in Hon Hai to buy a stake in the venture, Innolux Display Corp, which will make screens for wall-mounted televisions and other products.’
- ‘It really feels like a family restaurant in Spain, down to the zany antics of Spanish sitcoms playing on the wall-mounted TV screen and a fuzbol table by the entrance.’
- ‘The light source inside your wall-mounted fixture can be incandescent or fluorescent.’
- ‘Turn off the power to the room at the circuit breaker and remove any wall-mounted light fixtures.’
- ‘The controls may be integral with the fixture or wall-mounted in place of a standard switch.’
- ‘If a guy is hanging out by the patio heaters and the wall-mounted ashtrays, he smokes, or at least it doesn't bother him if you do.’
- ‘The Cotswold Company sells a wall-mounted, foldaway ironing board for £99, which is full-size and pivots out from a neat wall-fixed unit.’
- ‘The stairwell was lit with a series of dimmed wall-mounted lamps, but was quite a stark contrast to those at her leader's establishment.’
- ‘The touch panels, for example, come in a range of finishes and are available in a selection of wall-mounted, table-top and wireless models.’
- ‘A wall-mounted video camera, desk microphone, video recorder, and audio-tape recorder were used.’
- ‘This country-style grandfather clock, like our wall-mounted schoolhouse clock, is well but very simply made using only ordinary tools and materials.’
- ‘At the moment, wall-mounted heaters give off some warmth - but only if you're lucky enough to be sitting directly underneath them.’
- ‘The signal-jamming equipment is packed into two wall-mounted boxes the size of small hi-fi speakers, with one beside the altar and the other at the church entrance.’
- ‘The submitters will receive a wall-mounted plaque.’
- ‘The aerosol had been kept with other toiletries on a bathroom stand under a wall-mounted electric heater.’
- ‘He built a mural arc - a wall-mounted instrument measuring the altitudes of stars as they passed the meridian - only after receiving an inheritance on the death of his father.’
- ‘When wall-mounted, an optional mounting bracket pivots the handgun out before the door drops down to present the holster-mounted firearm.’
- ‘Many of these units have fans to move the heat, and are also available with remote controls, wall switches or wall-mounted thermostats.’
- ‘This handsome wall-mounted object consists of an upright rectangular bar with eight threaded dowels extending horizontally from its right side.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.