One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fixed to a wall.
- ‘The signal-jamming equipment is packed into two wall-mounted boxes the size of small hi-fi speakers, with one beside the altar and the other at the church entrance.’
- ‘The touch panels, for example, come in a range of finishes and are available in a selection of wall-mounted, table-top and wireless models.’
- ‘When wall-mounted, an optional mounting bracket pivots the handgun out before the door drops down to present the holster-mounted firearm.’
- ‘The Cotswold Company sells a wall-mounted, foldaway ironing board for £99, which is full-size and pivots out from a neat wall-fixed unit.’
- ‘It really feels like a family restaurant in Spain, down to the zany antics of Spanish sitcoms playing on the wall-mounted TV screen and a fuzbol table by the entrance.’
- ‘This country-style grandfather clock, like our wall-mounted schoolhouse clock, is well but very simply made using only ordinary tools and materials.’
- ‘Turn off the power to the room at the circuit breaker and remove any wall-mounted light fixtures.’
- ‘The light source inside your wall-mounted fixture can be incandescent or fluorescent.’
- ‘The aerosol had been kept with other toiletries on a bathroom stand under a wall-mounted electric heater.’
- ‘A wall-mounted video camera, desk microphone, video recorder, and audio-tape recorder were used.’
- ‘The controls may be integral with the fixture or wall-mounted in place of a standard switch.’
- ‘There's even a fantastically useless wall-mounted electric hob with vertically placed hotplates that seems to revel in its impracticality and urge reluctant cooks to go to the pub instead.’
- ‘At the moment, wall-mounted heaters give off some warmth - but only if you're lucky enough to be sitting directly underneath them.’
- ‘This handsome wall-mounted object consists of an upright rectangular bar with eight threaded dowels extending horizontally from its right side.’
- ‘The submitters will receive a wall-mounted plaque.’
- ‘The stairwell was lit with a series of dimmed wall-mounted lamps, but was quite a stark contrast to those at her leader's establishment.’
- ‘If a guy is hanging out by the patio heaters and the wall-mounted ashtrays, he smokes, or at least it doesn't bother him if you do.’
- ‘Kuo sold some of his shares in Hon Hai to buy a stake in the venture, Innolux Display Corp, which will make screens for wall-mounted televisions and other products.’
- ‘Many of these units have fans to move the heat, and are also available with remote controls, wall switches or wall-mounted thermostats.’
- ‘He built a mural arc - a wall-mounted instrument measuring the altitudes of stars as they passed the meridian - only after receiving an inheritance on the death of his father.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.