One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural Walkmans, Plural Walkmentrademark
A type of personal stereo.
- ‘It pioneered the category when it introduced the original Walkman in 1979.’
- ‘Whether people start ditching their iPods and Walkmans in favour of their mobile though remains to be seen.’
- ‘The Walkman gave people their own music on the move for the first time, but they were limited by the number of songs a CD or tape could hold.’
- ‘Listening on a Walkman often makes the music more personal and direct.’
- ‘Yet ‘Hold My Hand,’ which sounds as if she recorded it on a Walkman, mesmerizes still.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.