One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sturdy, practical shoe with good treads, suitable for regular or extensive walking.
- ‘You don't have to wear special walking shoes to do the walk, just a pair of trainers or some stout shoes will do.’
- ‘These lightweight walking shoes from New Balance provide durability and excellent traction.’
- ‘To get the most from your walk, invest in a comfortable pair of walking shoes and carry a water bottle to keep hydrated.’
- ‘A walker needs the beveled heel, thinner midsole and flexible forefoot of a walking shoe rather than the thick sole and rigidity of a running shoe.’
- ‘Fund-raising was discussed and members decided to take out their walking shoes for a sponsored walk which is planned for Sunday, March 26.’
- ‘To further insure comfort, when trying walking shoes on, walkers should always wear the socks that will be worn during training.’
- ‘I sit behind a desk at work, so when I get a 10-minute break, I slip on a pair of walking shoes.’
- ‘Most of the towpath is under grass, which is short at this time of year but wet, so walking shoes would do, boots would be better.’
- ‘There are 450 acres of forested ground on the estate with plenty of opportunities to walk (bring walking shoes or boots) and clear the mind in wonderful surroundings.’
- ‘As a treat for your feet, invest in a good pair of walking shoes - something that provides good support, maintains stability, and cushions your feet.’
- ‘Later on I gave my new walking shoes a try out on the Medicine Walk.’
- ‘If you'll walk on streets and sidewalks, walking shoes or cross-trainers will be perfect.’
- ‘The event, which usually attracts about 8,000 people, is open from 10.30 am to 5pm each day - and visitors are advised to wear walking shoes or boots as the ground can get very wet.’
- ‘A warm/rainproof jacket and sturdy, comfortable walking shoes are a must.’
- ‘With a good pair of walking shoes/boots and a guide, you can get a great workout while seeing the country from the ground up.’
- ‘Sensible walking shoes and suitable clothing are also recommended.’
- ‘During breaks, bypass the lunch room, change into walking shoes and log a half-mile in or out of the building.’
- ‘Called ‘10,000 Steps a Day,’ all it takes is a good pair of walking shoes and a $15 pedometer that clips to your belt.’
- ‘We recommend walking shoes or boots rather than sandals for this walk as it is over uneven ground in places.’
- ‘In times like these, you have to put on some sturdy walking shoes and hit the pavement.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.