One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who walks, especially for exercise or enjoyment.
hiker, rambler, wayfarer, traveller, roamer, rover, footsloggerView synonyms
- ‘From the feedback all the walkers really enjoyed the walk.’
- ‘Rivington Pike near Horwich is still blanketed with snow and has become a magnet for walkers, with cyclists and tobogganists also flocking to join in the fun.’
- ‘We have established that daily dog walking by a dog walker is great idea.’
- ‘As a keen walker and climber he decided to create a route which other people could enjoy.’
- ‘He is a great walker, having walked through all of Cairo's districts over the years - which remains the reason why Mahfouz never owned a car.’
- ‘Last summer holidays the keen walker and his mother walked an impressive 31 miles to Penistone in one day.’
- ‘A poor runner could run it in 25 minutes, while a decent walker could walk it in 50 minutes.’
- ‘A search facility allows walkers to look for walks by clicking on an area of a map or to search by length and grade of walk nearby towns and villages.’
- ‘He was a keen walker of long-distance trails in Britain and loved travelling.’
- ‘Board walks take walkers through bog and tussock up to a moraine ridge overlooking the Otira Valley.’
- ‘We would appreciate it if you would support this event by taking part in the walk, sponsoring a walker or making a contribution.’
- ‘As a keen walker I enjoy not only long distance walks but also local walks around the footpaths of Keighley.’
- ‘Dog walkers, who exercise their pets in the fields, have complained to the police, claiming substances at the site have poisoned their pets.’
- ‘In Bristol, walkers can join the walk starting at Brunel's historic Suspension Bridge, spanning the Avon gorge.’
- ‘Over 90 people of all ages took part in the walk, the youngest walker being 4 year old Rachel Kelly from Cloggernagh, Glenhest.’
- ‘On Sunday June 1st a large crowd of walkers left Belmullet to walk 10 miles to the Lighthouse Tavern for Charity.’
- ‘I have, in isolated cases, had walkers deliberately walk in front of the bike and I have had to swerve to avoid them.’
- ‘In his younger days Mr Trickett was a keen walker and cyclist.’
- ‘This walk is a grade B walk suitable for regular walkers.’
- ‘The walk is a grade B walk for experienced walkers and covers a distance of 4.5 miles.’
- 1.1 A device for helping a baby learn to walk, consisting of a harness set into a frame on wheels.
- ‘Babies who use walkers do not start walking any faster than others.’
- ‘I'm not a big fan of walkers because apparently they make the baby lazy, and they stop trying to walk or crawl.’
- ‘Those who didn't use walkers walked alone at 58 weeks compared to the others at 61 weeks.’
- 1.2North American A frame used by disabled or infirm people for support while walking, typically made of metal tubing with small wheels or rubber-tipped feet.
- ‘If resting is not possible, use of crutches, walkers or wheel chairs can be advised.’
- ‘Mobility may be extended by using the wheelchair for longer excursions and using other assistive devices such as a walker for shorter distances, or in the home.’
- ‘The day of the meeting is not one of Nozuko's good days; she is so weakened by fever that walking down the hall to the meeting room with her walker exhausts her.’
- ‘I don't have to use a walker to walk, but I use it for safety, because if I fell again, that might be the end of me.’
- ‘Striking scenery was also shot in Iceland, where Bond uses his crutches, walker, wheelchair, and walking stick to run away from Russian soldiers.’
- ‘If your doctor suggests that you use a cane or a walker to help you walk, please use one.’
- ‘Hazel, a former local newspaper writer, could not even hold a pen or use her walker before she started working out.’
- ‘One elderly woman glared at me as she walked past, her walker screeching on the linoleum of the shop.’
- ‘As she maneuvered her walker to the elevator, I provided a visual description of her tiny room, including the eyelet sheets that had been hung on her window.’
- ‘Your physical therapist will recommend strengthening and mobility exercises and will help you learn how to use a walking aid, such as a walker or crutches.’
- ‘But he's already donated his walker to a medical facility near his Indiana home.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.