One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The position within society that someone holds or the part of society to which they belong as a result of their job or social status.‘the courses attracted people from all walks of life’
class, status, rank, caste, station, sphere, arena, area, domain, realmView synonyms
- ‘Some are accountants and professionals who have been involved in other walks of life.’
- ‘It says the society welcomes people from all walks of life and backgrounds.’
- ‘They come from all walks of life and are directed by professional artists and production staff.’
- ‘In this job you get to know people from many walks of life and professions.’
- ‘They are anguished arguments and they take place in all classes and walks of life.’
- ‘That's the way it is in any walk of life, and this arena is no different.’
- ‘Retained firefighters come from all walks of life and are the lifeblood of the brigade in rural areas.’
- ‘This will result in the making of better professionals in every walk of life.’
- ‘Queensland's hotline for the elderly fields calls from all walks of life and situations.’
- ‘In every walk of life, in every profession for hundreds of years, people have been looking to get an advantage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.