Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A telephone call made according to a prior arrangement to wake the person called.
- ‘I hope this is not a harbinger of 4 a.m. wake-up calls to come, but I'm probably kidding myself.’
- ‘She requests a wake-up call but wakes before the designated time.’
- ‘Monday, 7.30 am: Myself and room partner Gary Bollan are stirred into life by the loudest wake-up call known to man.’
- ‘He wanted to roll over and go back to sleep but his mother's singing was meant as a wake-up call.’
- ‘Joseph woke to the sound of a horn bellowing a wake-up call in the distance.’
- ‘Before drifting off to sleep, Horatio mentally placed a wake-up call and his mind neared consciousness.’
- ‘Well, we all know that Kelly Ripa has an early wake-up call every single morning, but she was out pretty late last night for a good cause.’
- ‘Belinda was surprised to find that she had managed to drop off when a mid-morning wake-up call woke her.’
- ‘Eventually Arthur says he got a couple of hours sleep, on the promise of a wake-up call from Brown.’
- 1.1A person or thing that causes people to become fully alert to an unsatisfactory situation and to take action to remedy it.‘today's statistics will be a wake-up call for the administration’
- ‘Judge Ball said that the jail sentence was intended ‘to fire a warning shot, a wake-up call, to other people’.’
- ‘In fact, that's what guilt is for: a wake-up call to remedy a situation.’
- ‘But a report due to be published this week may serve as a wake-up call to those who believe Edinburgh to be a fully paid-up member of the world's top locations.’
- ‘I think the biggest problem which we face is the next pandemic of influenza, and I think in a sense the SARS has given us a wake-up call for that.’
- ‘I think ultimately this has served as a real wake-up call to the investment community and to the average investor.’
- ‘It was a final wake-up call to change my lifestyle.’
- ‘County received an early wake-up call when a Rangers forward got through to a one-on-one with County keeper Adam Hornby, who made a fine save.’
- ‘These results are a wake-up call for a Government more interested in changing how it looks, rather than changing how it works, he said.’
- ‘This was the wake-up call that Newry needed and in the 24th minute they almost got the equaliser when Curran's cross was met by Maguire.’
- ‘This wake-up call, though, doesn't just apply to the Democrats and the mainstream media.’
- ‘The Prison Reform Trust said today that overcrowding is a problem in three quarters of jails and the figures should act as a wake-up call to the government.’
- ‘If the new National Defense Strategy isn't a sufficient wake-up call, what's it going to take?’
- ‘Many people experience a shocking wake-up call when they find themselves in hospital and realise how much their misuse of substances has damaged their health.’
- ‘He described his action as ‘a wake-up call before ministers' complacency becomes truly dangerous’.’
- ‘It has provided everyone - supporters, players, clubs and league officials - with a massive wake-up call.’
- ‘The case may turn out to be one of those terrible incidents that provide a wake-up call and a catalyst for positive change.’
- ‘And I think that Republicans did have a wake-up call, and I think they're starting to react to it.’
- ‘The election of the BNP councillors and the BBC documentary is hopefully a wake-up call to the fact we need some open and honest debate in this city.’
- ‘It's a wake-up call: he sees the errors of his ways, and now that he has a little time on his hands he decides to reform himself into the best dad a child could have.’
- ‘But in 1992, Airbus executives received an unwelcome wake-up call.’
wake-up call/ˈwākəp ˌkôl/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.