One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular or plural Waiters and waitresses collectively.
- ‘When a customer in the dining room has questions, the waitstaff brings a bartender over to the table.’
- ‘This meeting, led by Myers and general manager Esti Benson, 29, includes all of the waitstaff, the floor managers, and the hosts and hostesses.’
- ‘The waitstaff seems to have been there since 1924 as well, and they bring you huge honking piles of food, including pretty much a loaf of bread with everything.’
- ‘Better product makes for better drinks, enhancing the dining and drinking experience and improves your waitstaff's tips.’
- ‘The restaurant is cafeteria-style, so there's no waitstaff to rush you out.’
- ‘But shrewd restaurateurs and bar owners know that the secret weapon lies in the hands of a highly trained waitstaff.’
- ‘Communication is key, from beer company to wholesaler to operator, from headquarters to bar manager to waitstaff.’
- ‘But for reasons unexplained, the waitstaff informed the VIP his dinner entrée was no longer available.’
- ‘Beginning this fall, Allied Domecq brands launch new educational programs for bartenders and waitstaff.’
- ‘Your waitstaff should know why Macallan is sherried, which beers are light dark, malty, or hoppy.’
- ‘The bartenders and waitstaff all wear ties, and the average age of employees has risen from 16 to 21.’
- ‘Food's great, terrace is wonderful and the waitstaff is very friendly under all the attitude.’
- ‘The waitstaff was terrified, and they couldn't fool around.’
- ‘It's a good reminder for us when we start to take our bartenders and waitstaff for granted.’
- ‘But this is by far not the only reason to choose Julep's: the tenders know their bar and their job well and the waitstaff is the friendliest and most efficient around.’
- ‘Although the unmarked door would insinuate that only the coolest are welcome, once inside the waitstaff and bartenders are super friendly and accommodating.’
- ‘You have to learn these whiskies or some long-term staff member does, and then you have to teach your bar-tenders and waitstaff.’
- ‘The waitstaff all across the ballroom has begun to shuttle the hundreds of dinners to the gala patrons.’
- ‘If tips motivate waitstaff to provide better service, why shouldn't they motivate professors to prepare better lectures?’
- ‘It's quite simply some of the finest food I've ever eaten, prepared by a wonderful chef and presented by friendly, knowledgeable waitstaff.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.