Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The action of staying where one is or delaying action until a particular time or until something else happens.
eager, excited, agog, waiting with bated breath, breathless, waiting, anticipatory, hopefulView synonyms
- ‘Then beginning the first stretch of waiting until the blue and red lights and white cars arrived.’
- ‘There were other monitors that switched views between empty hallways and vacant waiting areas.’
- ‘Blair led the way out of the office and into the larger waiting area.’
- ‘There's no waiting period between creation and review, and there's no editorializing.’
- ‘The inevitable result is that waiting times have grown and now stand at a staggering 53 weeks for a routine MRI scan.’
- ‘I was put into the custody of social services after hours of waiting.’
- ‘Localized prostate cancer can be either treated with radiation, surgery or watchful waiting.’
- ‘Mary insists it was worth every waiting minute though and the band themselves were reportedly positive about their experience.’
- ‘Waiting times range from 23 months in Queensland to 54 months in Tasmania.’
- ‘The redevelopment will see the construction of a ticket office and waiting area together with public toilet and baby changing area.’
- ‘It's about 30 years since the bypass was first proposed which has meant over a generation of waiting.’
- ‘If you download in the mornings, before the US wakes up, there's generally no waiting time.’
- ‘Patients also prefer general practice management and welcome reduced waiting times and travelling costs.’
- ‘Secondly, 50 children changed from watchful waiting to surgery.’
- ‘The train which would serve me best was scheduled to arrive in half an hour, so I decided to continue my waiting until then.’
- ‘But the Farrells say after two months of waiting for real action, they have had enough.’
- ‘I have the patience of a bull ant and cannot stand this waiting business; it's driving me nuts.’
- ‘You know there is a three day waiting period to purchase this game?’
- ‘A waiting period after vasectomy is required to clear the reproductive tract of sperm.’
- ‘No forms to fill out, no instant check, no waiting period.’
2Official attendance at court.See also lady-in-waiting
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.