The condition of computer software or hardware being unable to process further instructions while waiting for some event such as the completion of a data transfer.
- ‘Multistream instruction processor able to reduce interlocks by having a wait state for an instruction stream.’
- ‘One way around this problem is to enter the BIOS settings and increase the wait state of the Ram.’
- ‘Finally, there is almost no way to optimize the system, which is filled with extraneous wait states and timing loops that slow it to a crawl because lawyers are paid by the hour.’
- ‘‘It is easier to use wait states [between a request and the returned data],’ said Mathewson.’
- ‘If all the nodes in a network ignore interrupts from others until they reach a wait state, individual productivity of the node may go up, briefly.’