Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The condition of computer software or hardware being unable to process further instructions while waiting for some event such as the completion of a data transfer.
- ‘Multistream instruction processor able to reduce interlocks by having a wait state for an instruction stream.’
- ‘One way around this problem is to enter the BIOS settings and increase the wait state of the Ram.’
- ‘Finally, there is almost no way to optimize the system, which is filled with extraneous wait states and timing loops that slow it to a crawl because lawyers are paid by the hour.’
- ‘‘It is easier to use wait states [between a request and the returned data],’ said Mathewson.’
- ‘If all the nodes in a network ignore interrupts from others until they reach a wait state, individual productivity of the node may go up, briefly.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.