Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Wooden paneling that lines the lower part of the walls of a room.
- ‘Reinstate timber wainscot boarding along eastern wall in its original position and remove item 13 to allow the proper installation of wainscoting.’
- ‘In every room, running along the base of the walls, was dark brown wainscoting.’
- ‘The cedar battens that cover the joints in the wainscoting are typical of the way in which the architects create elegant ornamentation out of practical detail.’
- ‘Bring the classic look of frame-and-panel wainscoting to any room in your house using simple shop-made moldings and custom fit plywood panels.’
- ‘So the latest controversy over so-called shared campuses for Catholic schools has brought the usual suspects out of the wainscoting in swarms.’
- ‘It calmed me so much so that I was totally unalarmed when I saw a large black spider go scuttling by along the wainscotting.’
- ‘The Banke has been transformed into a space characterized by dark furniture, marble wainscoting and a central staircase suitable for Scarlett O'Hara.’
- ‘The bright red walls are framed between cream-colored wainscoting and picture rails.’
- ‘Forget your poncy, designer-chic country-house hotels - let's get back to period wainscoting, peacocks and proper gravel drives.’
- ‘Rugs on marble floors, dark wood wainscoting, patterned green silk wall coverings and the building's original cavernous ceiling breathe life into the installation.’
- ‘We toured a house for sale in Tarkio, which turned out to have three stories, solid oak wainscoting, pocket doors, and beautiful wood floors.’
- ‘The sinks flank a vintage five-panel door and are backed by beadboard wainscoting made of tongue-and-groove 1x4s.’
- ‘The afternoon sun was warm on the five workmen there, busy upon doors and window-frames and wainscoting.’
- ‘The furniture was all stained to match the black-stained cypress wainscoting.’
- ‘Constanze continued the Shaker theme upstairs, where tongue-and-groove wainscoting provides an authentic period touch.’
- ‘To give the home the air of a vintage farmhouse, she painted the walls in soft neutrals and chalky pastels, installed beadboard wainscoting, and replaced brass knobs and pulls with glass ones.’
- ‘The walls were covered in pink and white striped wallpaper and mahogany wainscotting.’
- ‘The floor is tiled and timber panel walls are complemented by wainscoting to dado level.’
- ‘Two of the bedrooms have original cast-iron fireplaces while the bathroom has original wainscoting and offers access to the attic.’
- ‘Inside the inn were exposed beams, high cedar wainscoting on the walls, and wide cedar floorboards.’
- 1.1 Material for wainscoting.
- ‘So when my cherry wainscotting arrives, send it up to the publisher's old office.’
- ‘Fairfield Woodworks takes the wood left over after veneers are sliced off and recycles it into wainscoting and other trim materials.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.