Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A waggling movement performed by a honeybee at the hive or nest, to indicate to other bees the direction and distance of a source of food.
- ‘Finally, at the furthest distances from the nest, a waggle dance is performed.’
- ‘In honey bee colonies, scouts search for productive forage sites and then recruit other workers to those locations using a waggle dance.’
- ‘The scientists watched the waggle dance occurring in a glass observation hive and identified recruits.’
- ‘Most biologists believe the famed waggle dance of the honeybee constitutes coded language that directs other bees to nectar and pollen.’
- ‘We observe biological examples ranging from the foraging bee's waggle dance to the genetic code.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.