One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounthe Waffen SS
The combat units of the SS in Nazi Germany during World War II.
- ‘He was considered to be an outstanding prospect and was admitted into the ‘Liebstandarte-SS Adolf Hitler’ - considered to be one of the elite units in the Waffen SS.’
- ‘It is certain that his admission into the group would have been far more complicated had he admitted to being a former Waffen SS recruit.’
- ‘On the same day, December 17, a Waffen SS unit under the command of Joachim Pieper murdered 113 American prisoners.’
- ‘A few units - the Waffen SS on the Eastern Front was notorious in this respect - had a rule not to take any prisoners at all.’
- ‘His father fought for Soviet Russia in Afghanistan, his grandfather was an officer in the Waffen SS, and his great grandfather died in the trenches of Verdun.’
German Waffen ‘armed’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.